CUMBERLAND POST OFFICE DIRECTORY
The County Gaol and House of Correction, Carlisle occupy the site of the ancient monastery of the Black Friars, near the ancient English gate, and they were completed in 1827, at a cost of £42,534, and are in the Gothic style; the front of the building measures 340 feet., consists of a centre and two wings, finished with an embattled parapet, and relieved by a range of narrow Gothic windows made to correspond with the Court House, to which it is united. The entrance consists of a Pointed-arch, with massive iron studded doors. In the interior is the governor’s house, from which radiate six buildings for different classes of prisoners, with separate airing grounds, so arranged that the governor and assistants can from their apartments take a complete view of the whole. A massive wall of red sandstone encloses the prison and grounds. Thomas Heagren REDIN, governor; Miss. Mary MACKINTOSH, matron; Rev. Anderson EDWARDS, chaplain; W. B. PAGE, esq., surgeon; Thomas FORSYTH, clerk and schoolmaster.
The County Infirmary lies to the west of Carlisle, and is a commodious and handsome building of white freestone, with four Grecian Doric columns and was erected, at the cost of nearly £6,000, from a design by Mr. R. TATTERSALL, of Manchester; the foundation stone was laid by Sir James GRAHAM, bart., October 1st, 1830; the institution was originated by a bequest of £1,000 for the purpose by Thomas PARKER, esq., of Warwick Hall. John Reed DONALD, solicitor; Rev. Francis ALLNATT, chaplain; John LAVER, secretary; Miss. Emma WILLIAMS, matron.
Whitehaven and West Cumberland Infirmary, Howgill Street, Whitehaven. Right Hon. Earl of LONSDALE, president’ Peter CAMERON, treasurer; William WILSON, hon. Sec.; Joseph WILSON, W. B. CLARKE and T. F. I’ANSON, M.D., consulting surgeons; John SHANNON, house surgeon; Miss. Elizabeth BRINING, matron.
The Reformatory for Juvenile Criminals at Stanwix, near Carlisle, was opened for the reception of boys of the criminal class in October, 1854 by George HEAD, esq., of Rickerby House, by whom it is supported, and upon whose estate it is situated, at the extremity of the park, within a few yards of the site of the old Roman wall between the Tyne and the Solway; the premises comprise an area of about ten acres, one of which is enclosed by a high wall as a garden; the building consists of the superintendent’s house, the chapel, school-room, dormitory, bath-room, and work-shops; the average number of inmates is 40, who are daily instructed and are taught some useful trade, as that of a tailor, carpenter, or agriculturist. George CROWTHER, governor.
Members of Parliament for the County - East Cumberland
Hon. Charles Wentworth George HOWARD, Naworth Castle, Brampton and 1 Palace Green, Kensington, London w.
William Nicholson HODGSON, esq., Newby Grange, near Carlisle, and Carlton and Junior Carlton Clubs, London s.w., West Cumberland.
Hon. Percy Scawen (sp?) WYNDHAM, Isell Hall, Cockermouth, and 44 Belgrave Square, London s.w.
Lord MUNCASTER, Muncaster Castle, Ravenglass.
(Last name can’t be read.)
Coroners for the County: -
W. CARRICK, Brampton, for Eastern District
W. LUMB, Banks Hall, for the Western District.
H. BELL, Cockermouth, for Egremont lordship
H. M. MECKIN, Broughton-in-Furness, for Millom lordship.
|Morland Parish Registers|
|Cumberland Parish Registers - Marriages|
|Stanwix Parish Registers|
|The Armorial Bearings of the City of Carlisle|
|Stray CUMBERLAND Baptisms|